Welcome to Templar Tanking with Off Heals! This is challenging but fun to be able to support the group in multiple ways at the same time. ***THIS BUILD WILL NOT DO DPS!!!*** If you want a Tank that does off DPS, then head over to my DK DPS Tank build.
This build will enable you to tank, taunt, heal yourself(and others) and buff the group. You’ll have shields, healing, taunting, debuffing AND group resource management.
Resources are managed through Magicka Recovery, Channeled Focus and spell power pots(Trash pots can also be used). Also, using Repentance is great for Health/Stamina and will also help the group when you use them. Since you will also have Luminous Shards slotted, that will also help other group members with their Stamina or Magicka.
Attributes: 46 Max Health | 18 Max Stamina (The Stamina and Health attributes are flexible, but THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that your stamina is slightly higher than your Magicka. When your TRUE(hopefully you have one) healer is throwing shards and you synergize them, you will regain resources for whichever pool is higher. Since you have Magicka recovery already and Channeled Focus, you’re going to need that Stamina to block and taunt, so make sure your stamina stays higher than Magicka and put the rest into health!)
5pc Sanctuary, 5pc Heavy Bahraha’s Curse, 2pc Swarm Mothers Monster Set
|Weapon 1||Bahraha’s Curse||One Handed||Defending||Hardening|
|Off Hand 1||Bahraha’s Curse||Shield||Infused||Tri Stat|
|Weapon 2||Bahraha’s Curse||One Handed||Defending||Crushing|
|Off Hand 2||Bahraha’s Curse||Shield||Infused||Tri Stat|
|Head||Swarm Mother’s||Heavy||Divines||Tri Stat|
|Chest||Bahraha’s Curse||Light||Divines||Tri Stat|
|Shoulder||Swarm Mother’s||Heavy||Divines||Max Health|
|Waist||Bahraha’s Curse||Heavy||Divines||Max Health|
|Legs||Bahraha’s Curse||Heavy||Divines||Tri Stat|
|Ring 1||Sanctuary||Jewelry||Arcane||Magicka Recovery|
|Ring 2||Sanctuary||Jewelry||Arcane||Magicka Recovery|
Gear Selection and Location
- Bahraha’s Curse – Thieves Guild Dailies / Hews Bane Overland Loot
- This set is great for tanking due to its 5 piece bonus. The 5 piece bonus has a 25% chance to create a circle underneath enemies that you deal damage to and it reduces their movement speed and more importantly, deals them damage and returns all damage done to enemies to you in the form of health. So as long as you keep doing SOME FORM of damage, you’re going to constantly get health back.
- Sanctuary – Banished Cells 1 & 2
- This set is primarily to help your healing for you and your group. This set increase the potency of your healing since healing “potency” is scaled upon spell damage and your Magicka pool, both of which aren’t as high as a healer normally has. Again, your primary focus is tanking, so this set can flex with what you want to do. You could also use Worm Cult instead for overall group Magicka cost reduction, which would also help you and the cost of Magicka for your healing abilities.
- Swarm Mother’s Monster Set – Head: Spindleclutch 1 / Shoulders: Maj al-Ragath Undaunted Chest
- As a non-DK tank, this set is fairly critical. EVERY time you block a ranged attack, it will pull that enemy next to you just like DK chains does. There is no cool down to this and will happen as much as you block ranged attacks for. It works WONDERS for non-DK tanks and is a great monster set. I’m sure there are plenty of options, but if you want to stay somewhat comparable to the standard DK tanking abilities, then this is what you want to use and practice how to best use it.
- Bar 1
- Luminous Shards – This is good to throw into a group of adds and get them focused on you when you first run into a room. Also by the time everyone else gets into the room, it gives a nice resource synergy to help out the DPS
- Channeled Focus – This is the DK spikes on your back equivalent. This increases your Physical and Spell resistance with Major Ward/Resolve and ALSO grants Magicka every half a second while the skill is active, so great to help out with resources.
- Pierce Armor – Your standard melee taunt. Also influcts Major Breach/Fracture on the enemy bringing their resistances down. Keep this on the enemy but don’t overuse it at the risk of being left with no stamina for when you actually need it!
- Heroic Slash – Ultimate generation and also Minor Maim, reducing the enemy damage done by 15% for 12 seconds. Great for bosses that have a lot of AoE damages.
- Radiant Ward – This is your standard damage shield that’s 31% of your max health when cast. Since you have 35k health, that’s just over a 10k damage shield. Take that, Dragonknights!
- Ultimate: Solar Disturbance – Great ultimate that reduces enemy damage done with Major Main and movement speed reduction. Also when an ally activates the ability, it will stun all enemies in the area for 2.5 seconds, so also great for groups of adds.
- Bar 2
- Honor the Dead – This is the other morph of Breath of Life. The idea with Breath of Life is healing more players, but in this case the morph will restore Magicka if you heal someone under 75% health. So this grants healing and if they have lower health, you get most of the Magicka back so that’s an extra bonus
- Extended Ritual – This is an area HoT(heal over time) that will impact you and others standing in it. Party members can also synergize this to cleanse all harmful effects and restore health at the same time. Good help for the group.
- Inner Fire – Your standard ranged taunt. It’s great to have the ranged and melee taunts because one is Magicka and one is Stamina. If you’re low on one resource and NEED to taunt, then use the other resource based taunt.
- Hasty Prayer – This is a burst heal for you and the group.
- Repentance – Simply having this slotted grants you Health, Magicka and Stamina Recovery, which is great. However every time an enemy dies, you can cast this for free and absorb their life force to heal Health and restore Stamina for both you and your allies for EVERY dead body. So this is incredible for Stamina management, especially in groups of adds.
- Ultimate: Remembrance – This is a massive heal over 4 seconds while you’re casting it. It also grants you Major Protection, reducing incoming damage by 30%. Either ultimate can be switched out with a more “tanky” ultimate like the One Hand and Shield Ultimate, which is GREAT for a 6 second perma-block or Warhorn.
CP Allocation (720)
- The Tower
- Warlord – 35
- The Lover
- Arcanist – 75
- Tenacity – 75
- The Shadow
- Tumbling – 15
- Shadow Ward – 40
- The Apprentice
- Blessed – 65
- Elfborn – 60
- Elemental Expert – 45
- Spell Erosion – 20
- The Atronach
- The Ritual
- Thaumaturge – 50
- The Steed
- Ironclad – 55
- The Lady
- Elemental Defender – 45
- Thick Skinned – 55
- Hardy – 45
- The Lord
- Bastion – 15
- Heavy Armor Focus – 25
- Recommended Race: Imperial, for their additional Health and Stamina pools
- Atronach (Magicka Recovery)
Buff Food, Potions, Poisons
- Purple Tri-Food to help all three resource pools
- Trash Potions/Crit Potions/Spell Power Potions
- Class Passives: All passives
- Light Armor: Recovery, Evocation, Spell Warding
- Heavy Armor: All Passives
- One Hand and Shield: All Passives
- Undaunted: All passives
- Racial: All passives
- Alchemy: Medicinal Use (Not necessary but good for trying other builds later)
There isn’t major rotation to tanking other than to be sure to keep your Taunt up, keep your enemy debuffed with your Pierce Armor and Heroic Slash and for this particular build, make sure to keep your heals going as needed… but focus on yourself primarily. You’re not a healer, you’re a tank. You only have the healing as off-heals so if you’re dead there’s still a healer… but no tank.
Build Credit to Texecutioner187